Thursday, October 3, 2013

Documentary: The Autobiography of Nicolae Ceausescu

 

 I've been watching this in bits and pieces (it's 3 hours long) but it's pretty good once you settle into it's rhythm. Also kind of scary, to see how easily people line up and clap on demand - there was a lot of that in the old communist days, like it was all the fun available. 

And the politics - pure mind-numbingly useless bullshit from top-to-bottom. I would've shot somebody.

I'm watching to see how Ceausescu did it, or was it all party organ bullshit? He was just some little shrimp - again - someone with no discernible leadership qualities, pumped up to epic heights.

At this point, I figure people will "follow" just about anybody,...
 

3 comments:

  1. Ceausescu was a little shrimp, but he was a vicious little shrimp, who was smart enough to pick vicious, toady underlings, and who had the support of the Soviet Union (not exactly lightweights in the vicious category, and for that region, not shrimps).
    He also was, believe it or not, for the time, not the worst thing that Romania had had leadership-wise (this can make a big difference -- what we might see as horrible, someone else, in a different circumstance may see and "meh, could be worse").

    PW

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you're back:

    You calm my nerves,...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha! That's the first time anyone's accused me of doing that!

    I'm kinda glad to be back, truth be told (hardly getting interesting commentary from the nightly news).

    PW

    ReplyDelete

COMMENTS ARE BACK ON