Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Oregonian On The Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh

Here's one of the finest expose's on an individual cult that I've read in a long, long time. It's about the Rajneesh - the cult of the Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh, above - one of the cults Arianna Huffington was in (though, incredibly, no one's ever asked her about her participation in their mass orgies or the poisoning of an Oregon town). What makes this expose' so good is that, unlike Jayanti Tamm's recent article in The Huffington Post, this is giving us the perspectives of those inside the cult and outside of it.

In other words, something closer to the truth.

I'll be referencing this series when I do my upcoming cultism post, so read this as part of your preparation. (My post is going to be on the phenomena of cultism in and on society - not just about how one gets in a cult or what it's like to be in a cult - so expect a slightly different, and broader, perspective.) I have to say, again, that I'm sorry it's taking me so long to present it but, without excuses, it's a much larger undertaking than most and just finding the time to write it all out is daunting.

It'll happen when it happens - but it will happen. Eventually. Promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS ARE BACK ON