Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Big Heads, Big Money, And Even Bigger Beats

"Aura dazzles, but argument gets things done. Consider the debate on the Democrats' health care bill and the increasingly negative response to Barack Obama's performance. Democrats have the numbers to pass a health care bill -- 256 votes in the House, 38 more than the 218 majority; 60 votes in the Senate, enough to defeat a filibuster. But they haven't come up with the arguments, at least yet, to put those numbers on the board. It's something not many predicted that bright January inauguration morning.

We knew that day that Obama was good at aura, at generating enthusiasm for the prospect of hope and change. His inspiring speeches -- the Jefferson-Jackson Day dinner in Des Moines, the race speech in Philadelphia, the countless rallies in primary and caucus and target states -- helped him capture the Democratic nomination and then win the presidency by the biggest percentage margin in 20 years.

But it turns out that Obama is not so good at argument. Inspiration is one thing, persuasion another. He created the impression on the campaign trail that he was familiar with major issues and readily ticked off his positions on them. But he has not proved so good at legislating.

One reason, perhaps, is that he has had little practice."


-- Michael Barone, admitting he saw something that was never there - Barack Obama's "aura" - allowing a nobody to become somebody, to The Washington Examiner.

Sorry it took me so long to get the first post up, but I've been arguing with my "special" liberal scientist, The Mighty, Mighty Orac, after he exhibited one of the liberal-of-today's favorite tendencies - anti-white racism. I would offer to buy him a ticket to Barack's house for the "beerfest", with Henry Louis Gates and Officer Crowley, but I just don't think that little "education" session is going to prove to be the right call,...


I'll be poking in-and-out today, so give me a few thought-provoking comments - preferably not anonymously - and even consider making a donation (My roommate - who's kinda liberal but getting there - after telling me how different my offline personality is to my online persona, suggested I ask, "Wouldn't you like to see this kind of conservative in a Rolls?") all of which would be greatly appreciated:

Being a professional asshole is a really lonely job.

And BTW: As I've said, many times, none of this money is going for anything as silly as a Rolls Royce, but to turn this guy:

Into a conservative version of this guy:

And that, I assure you, is a goal worth donating to - for me and you.

See you in a bit,

CMC

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS ARE BACK ON