Thursday, May 14, 2009

Oh, If Only We Could All Be Sane

"If I get a fortune cookie in a Chinese restaurant, I mean, of course, even I have a tendency... I mean, of course, I would hardly throw it out! I mean, I read it, I read it, and I just instinctively sort of, you know, if it says something like: 'Conversation with a dark-haired man will be very important for you,' well, I just instinctively think, you know, who do I know who has dark hair? Did we have a conversation? What did we talk about? In other words there's something in me that makes me read it, and I instinctively interpret it as if it were an omen of the future, but in my conscious opinion, which is so fundamental to my whole view of life, I mean, I would just have to change totally to not have this opinion, in my conscious opinion, this is simply something that was written in the cookie factory, several years ago, and in no way it refers to me! I mean, you know, the fact that I got--I mean, the man who wrote it did not know anything about me, I mean, he could not have known anything about me! There's no way that this cookie could actually have to do with me! And the fact that I've gotten it is just basically a joke! And I mean, if I were to go on a trip, on an airplane, and I got a fortune cookie that said 'Don't go,' I mean, of course, I admit I might feel a bit nervous for about one second, but in fact I would go, because, I mean, that trip is gonna be successful or unsuccessful based on the state of the airplane and the state of the pilot, and the cookie is in no position to know about that."

-- My Dinner With Andre (film) with a good example of rational thought AKA critical thinking - which this blog doesn't see enough of - courtesy of Althouse.

For the record: We would not only throw the cookie out but the silly message would go unread without so much as a thought. And, yes, we apply the same reasoning to the Bible, the Koran, the Torah, and all those stupid NewAge pamphlets floating around out there. It's bullshit solipsism - one and all:

We are men and women, in the 21st Century, and we should consider acting like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

COMMENTS ARE BACK ON